Friday, October 14, 2005

Where are the Americans?

For the past few months I haven't seen a whole lot of Americans. I mean, there are Americans at Anatolia of course (it is the "American College"), but there aren't too many of us walking around downtown.

However, I've finally figured out how to find Americans in Thessaloniki. The other day I was in Ladidaka, which is one of the city' historic areas, and famous for its restaurants. It was about 7pm, and I was just strolling along and taking in the atmosphere. Ladidaka is picturesque, with cobblestone streets and old buildings. It was also largely deserted so early in the evening.
However, as I walked past restaurants, I couldn't help but notice a trend. There were a few people sitting inside and eating dinner- and they were quite definitely all American. I'm not sure how I knew that they were American; maybe it was the fact that they didn't physically look Greek, maybe it was the fact that they weren't wearing trendy European clothes, maybe it was the fact that many of them were eating at the one steakhouse with a sign in English. However, they definitely looked like people I would expect to see on the other side of the Atlantic. Greeks just don't eat dinner at 7pm. Most restuarants don't open until 8pm, and if they are open early, people spend several hours sipping coffee or wine before they actually order food.

It was very funny. I don't think I've seen so many Americans in one place in a while.

OK, I've got to go. It's my turn to take the kids out. But before I go, here are some more nice pictures from Olympus.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOu know, Emmie, these pictures make me nervous. It looks like you could fall off that mountain. Watch out! Mom

melusina said...

Here is a site for "out of towners" in Thessaloniki.

http://www.outoftowners.net/

There is a forum and they have regular get togethers. I only recently found them myself and haven't had a chance to participate yet, but they seem like a lovely group of folks. The majority of them appear to Brits though, not Americans.

I haven't seen many fellow Americans in Greece myself, definitely not in the neighborhood in Athens we lived in, nor on the isle of Kos, but there were a couple in Litochoro (on Mt. Olympus). I met one here in Thessaloniki, she did the makeup for my wedding. So there are a few of us about.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Emily.

Here's an American in Volos. I've been here just over 2 years now. I'm married to a Greek.

On a previous trip to Thessaloniki we spotted several familiar restaurants from the States that we plan on returning to patronize. Consider yourself lucky to have them easily accessible. We only had a McDs which closed after the Olympics.

Greek food is good but I like a little more variety. There is a Mexican restaurant here but it isn't really authentic. I could really go for a chili relleno from our local Mexican joint back home. And my one experience with Chinese food here was terrible. Hoping the next time will be better.

By the way, I'm not the only American in Volos but there certainly don't seem to many of us here either.

Yana said...

Hi Emily,
I am in Thessaloniki right now...and I am American...
did you happen to find more americans here? i would love to meet any, greek- americans or any type of American...thank you so much, love your blog!