Monday, January 23, 2006

What I Expected To Miss, But Don't

There are some things I knew I was going to miss when I came to Greece, like the subway. There are also things that I didn't realize I was going to miss, like coffee to go. There are also things that I didn't expect to miss and don't miss at all, like the Bush administration. And finally, here are the things that I thought I would miss, but don't, as it turns out.

1) English as the Dominant Language
I was hanging out with some American students one night in December, and one of them mentioned that she wanted to share a cab home with me, because she found it difficult to deal with non-English speaking cabdrivers. "Funny," I thought, "I wonder why I don't really have a problem with cabdrivers that don't speak English?" Then I realized that I grew up in a place where the cabdrivers don't speak English...and neither do a significant portion of the inhabitants. Actually, between all the Greek English speakers and my bits and pieces of Greek, maybe I'm more likely to have common vocabulary with the people I meet here than I do back home in New York. I'm hardly fluent, but I'm functioning well enough to communicate in Greek when I need to...and the Greeks generally can communicate in English whether they need to or not.

2) American Movies
Although I would like some more afternoon showtimes, I have to applaud the Greeks for consistently using subtitles instead of dubbing. I suppose I could have gotten through King Kong in Greek; after all, most of the action involved giant creatures attacking one another in various combinations, and it's always useful to learn phrases like "Help, Help, a giant monkey!" in as many languages as possible. But Pride and Prejudice in Greek, well, that would be a wrench. Plus, subtitles actually do help me learn.

3) Casual Clothes
I expected Greek women to be all glamorous, fashionable and intimidating, and I expected to look like a total slob next to them. Well, they are, and I do, but I find that I really don't care much. They look better on the outside, but I don't smoke or wear heels, so I will definitely outrun everyone when the aforesaid giant monkey attacks us. Plus, I think it's too late for me to develop a reputation for style; not only would the kids be surprised, but I can picture everyone I know back home looking at me curiously as if to say "haven't you outgrown dress-up games by now?"

4) Being In School
I am, of course, still in school, as a both as a teacher type-person and a student-type person. However, I really thought I was going to miss being a full-time undergrad, with classes and papers to write and credits to accumulate. However, I must say, it's nice to have a breather. Especially since I can use my free time to do all the pleasure reading that I like, and I'm never up until 3am finishing assignments.




7 comments:

Emily said...

I'm laughing right now...have I mentioned I come from the Upper West Side? Well, morningside heights, to be exact. Pretty close!

Greek women look great. I just don't have the time and energy for all of that. Or the fashion sense.

Thanks for posting the link, by the way! I'm excited to have all of these readers!

GreekGoddess said...

Hello again :) Well see taht was one of my first "problems" when I came here. As I told Scruffy one day ...all I see here is a bunch of slobs (no offense) and I felt so weird. Lately I realized that I became one too...and I don't like it. I am not used to it, I am used to see women with make up and nicely dressed around me and it kinda depresses me here... but oh well... I'll live :)

Anonymous said...

GG: If you look like your picture you must be a cutie.

Emily said...

No offense take, Scruffy, or Greek Goddess. My perspective is (and I think I made a similar comment on Scruffy's blog) that Greek women are totally gorgeous, yes, but that's just not my style. I don't think you have to be super dolled up to be feminine. But if that's what makes you happy, that's awesome.

melusina said...

I'm with you on this one Emily! Greek women are gorgeous but I don't think getting dressed up or using makeup is what makes us feminine, or defines us as women.

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily, how are you!!!

I just followed the link to your blog from the facebook, and I must say it looks like you're having a blast of a time... :)

I thought I'd drop you a line to see how you're doing. I was actually in Thessalloniki mid-december, alas only for 2-3 days and didn't have a chance to contact you. Right now I'm taking the term off back home in Cyprus (so I'm actually not that far away) until mid March when I have to get back to Hanover...

I hope your greek is getting better... :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I find your observations interesting, Emily. While I confess that I often feel the slob next to SOME Greek women, I don't find Greek women as a group to be THAT glamorous. Many strike me as being rather fake and plastic looking not unlike someone like say...Paris Hilton. I don't know that glamorous is really their goal anyway. Trendy is more like it. And it is usually way overdone. From the slumpy but comfortable housefrau, DelawareDeb.