Monday, February 20, 2006

Home-Sick

Today is gorgeous. I mean, it is just a spectacular, sunny, warm-but-not-hot, blue skies sort of spring day. I am just completely ecstatic about the weather. It's the sort of day that makes me want to go for a run or walk or bike ride through Central Park and see the flowers and the green trees and the people lying on the grass.
Only problem is, Central Park is probably completely dead and grey at the moment. From what I hear, it's freezing in New York. Grinnell, IA was 9 below zero, according to the weather report. I have received a first hand account confirming that yesterday was approximately the coldest day Chicago has seen since the advent of the automobile. I guess I would not be so happy if I were in the states today.
I think perhaps this sudden desire to be in New York was brought on by my quite enjoyable trip to Athens, which reminded me of how much I love big obnoxious crowded cities, particularly in the Spring. More about that later, as there is much to tell. I confess I am utterly confused by the disdain for Athens that so many people seem to have. Maybe it's different if you live there.

4 comments:

GreekGoddess said...

Emily I jsut came back from Manhattan and it's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEZING there!! In fact it was one of the few days you wouldn't see people walking around the streets of NY. A few days ago snow really covered everything, we couldn't move , we couldn't even dig our cars out..horrible!! Good thing my kids have winter break now so no need to go to places :)
I wish I could go jogging across Thesalloniki port right now..and then of course sit outside a cute cafe shop and have my frappe :)

Enorkos said...

I have to disagree with greekgoddess. Manhattan was just great today. I admit it was cold...but with a bright sun...had to wear shades on both the morning and afternoon commute. (day's gettin' bigger!)
By the way, driving to work on a holiday is just pure enjoyment. JC to 79&Mad in just under 17 minutes. It usually takes me 1h15min by path/mtasubway on a regular bussines day.

Still... I wish I were in Athens

melusina said...

I am an Athens hater. But I lived there for a year and it was my first year here in Greece. I was not used to a "big" city (Nashville is only 500,000 people, after all) and I HATED the fact that there were no sidewalks in my neighborhood. Well, no wide sidewalks that weren't broken up or filled with trash. There were so many reasons I hated living there - but all the family that came to visit while we were there didn't see why I hated it, either.

The only part of Athens that was moderately pleasant was actually outside of the city. And it was midly pleasant walking around Syntagma.

All in all, Thessaloniki is a better sized city for me.

The weather in Greece lately has been so pleasant. I know it was freezing and snowing in Nashville. I'm bracing myself though - winter isn't over, and I've known bad snow in March!

Anonymous said...

Hey-it was great reading your posts about life in Greece, Im moving there next month with my 2 cats and greek husband and found your input hilarious and soooo accurate! God, getting anything administrative done in Greece SUCKS! So my cats need no papers or quarantine but I cant even get a straight goddamn answer about anything! Well thanks for the info, its all good to know-Im a bit nervous about cultural shock although ive been to greece b4, its more overwhelming when you're married to one of 'em! As your 15-year-old roomate informed you! Your kitty is adorable, hope she makes it back Ok!!