Saturday, June 16, 2007

In Which I Make Summer Plans

In May, I once again wrote to say that I was back from the dead and blogging again, and then disappeared for another extended period of time. Somehow, since my return from Greece (which has been a while now) I've really struggled with how to use this blog. I come up with ideas to write about on a regular basis, but somehow they rarely actually make it onto the computer screen. While I was travelling, a blog seemed like a good way to communicate with home and the world, and all of my online writing had a definite theme- travel. But here in the United States, I never quite wrapped my typing fingers around a similiar theme. Although there are many things to say about life in New York City, I never quite made my blog work.
But now I'm back to announce that, on June 25th, things will change. Because on June 25th, I am flying back to Thessaloniki. From there, I will travel to Serbia for two weeks (I will be teaching at a summer workshop for high school students working on their English) and then I take the bus back to Athens, where I will begin several more weeks as, yes, Emily Z in Greece once again. (That's still a terrible name for a blog, but I really liked living it.)
So, here I go again, travelling recklessly off into a region of the world where I don't speak the language and I am totally unprepared for whatever may greet me. (At least, I am totally unprepared for Serbia. Greece and I are well acquainted by now.)It should be pretty interesting. I'll keep you posted. And yes, I mean it this time.
(By the way, Kassandra, I'm glad to hear you have a new friend! Calypso is doing quite well at the moment. She's a little bit crazy, but through some miraculous freak of nature, my sister has actually taught her to sit and wave on command. I didn't even know cats could do that.)

4 comments:

melusina said...

Sounds like another big adventure for you. Athens, though? Totally not as good as Thessaloniki, although all the cool bloggers live there that I never get a chance to meet!

Emily said...

Oh, melusina, I guess I wasn't very clear! I am passing through Athens (which is definitely not as cool as Thessaloniki) on my way to several islands, and then back to Thess. So I'll be back in the city that feels like home...

Kassandra said...

I hope Serbia turns out to be a nice acquaintance, too! And, if you're passing through Athens before August 4th for a day or two, send me an email if you want to meet one (cool I hope) blogger living here! :)

PS I just read cats could be trained as well. Was sceptical, so it's interesting to know someone who's done it. Hmmm...

melusina said...

Well, maybe we'll get a chance to meet up this time!