Friday, October 26, 2007

In Which I Create A New Blog

So here's what has happened in the past few months:

1) I left New York, travelled back to Greece and Serbia, taught a class full of wonderful high school students in Serbia, caught up briefly with some friends in Greece, but unfortunately returned home to New York early because of a death in the family. (That's one reason I never had a chance to connect with several of the wonderful Greek bloggers that I would very much have liked to meet. Next time?)

2)Got my passport stolen in the Athens airport on the way home. Oops! (Never put anything in your back pocket.)

3) Returned to my work with middle school students this fall in New York, started additional work as an SAT tutor and graduate classes in secondary education.

3)Became hopelessly obsessed with HBO in the form of Big Love and The Sopranos.

4) Decided it was time for a blank slate. So, without further adieu, I will introduce....drumroll please...my NEW BLOG. It's called "I promise to go wandering." The title is a misheard Bob Dylan lyric from Mr. Tambourine Man. I thought the song went "Cast your dancing spell my way, I promise to go wandering." Actually, the line goes "Cast Your Dancing spell my way, I promise to go under it." By the time I figured that out, I had already adopted "I promise to go wandering" as a sort of motto. I even listed it as one of my favorite quotes on facebook. And now, every time I get lost in Chinatown, my boyfriend gives me this incredulous and disgusted look and says "Well, you did say you promised to go wandering."
So yes, I promise to go wandering. Specifically, I promise to go wandering at www.ipromisetogowandering.blogspot.com. If I can't regale you with fantastic travel tales this time around (and believe me, I would if I could) I'll have to do my best to entertain you with thoughts about New York, school, the Sopranos, and cats. (Don't worry, they are entertaining cats.)

3 comments:

CaliforniaKat said...

I was wondering when/if you might come back! At least you were productive, doing interesting things (especially Serbia) and having a good time!

I used to live in NY, as well. This is my chance to live vicariously through you.

See you around the blogosphere. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily - This is Amy Wilson (from Grinnell)'s mom. Please get in touch with me at Washington University. (I don't see your email listed here.)

Thank you.
Shelli Kastin

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily! I had not visited your blog for a while and I thought I was going to find a whole bunch of new stories, but I guess you have been very busy living, traveling and surviving eight year old kids.
I understand that you have struggled with how to use the blog after Greece, but i´m completely sure that, if you want, you can write wonderful pieces about your city . The course we took at the New School was precisely about that!!! I remember that you always presented very funny and thoughtful pieces, so much that our classmates used to say that you had a very unique voice, so came on, share it with us. Besides, you are one of the few “natural born” New Yorkers on earth. ;)

By the way, I was watching the fotolog of a friend and , through one of his links, I jumped to the page of a girl that takes pictures of people all around New York city. I found this one very familiar, ¿is this you or your lost twin?:

http://www.fotolog.com/ewolman/20587752

PS: I join the claim of Amy Wilson´s mom, list your e-mail here.