Thursday, June 22, 2006

In Which I Mentally Cheer For Prostitutes and Snow

 
For my birthday in April, my boyfriend made me a CD which included a live version of Paul Simon singing 'The Boxer' in Central Park. Not surprisingly, this concert was packed with New Yorkers, and the crowd goes wild every time the city is mentioned. The phrase "seventh avenue" is met with cheers. The mention of "New York City" gets everyone screaming with excitement. The fact that the former is part of a reference to "the whores on seventh avenue " and the latter is part of a wish to go "home....where the New York City winters aren't bleeding me" doesn't seem to register. Or maybe this crowd was just really proud of that stuff, because what kind of city doesn't have a few problems with crime and weather?
I make fun of these people, but if I had been there, I would have cheered too. So what if the protagonist is miserable and lonely and trapped in the city? To some of us, you don't leave New York to go home. And that's worth cheering about, damn it.
I've come to learn that part of really knowing a place is learning that there are things about it that you despise. I've always loved New York, but I had just enough hate for it that I decided to get the hell out of there, and I went to college in Iowa instead. I loved Iowa too, for very different reasons that I loved New York, but I won't lie; I had some real moments of hatred for it too. I spent four years going back and forth, trading Central Park and Indian food for cornfields and a small town where everyone knows the details of everyone else's life. I think the Grinnellians thought I talked about New York too much and the New Yorkers wondered what on earth I was doing off in the middle of nowhere. But I think I was all the richer for living in two different places, and maybe that's why I decided to come to Greece; to know another place, in a different country this time.
Like all places, Greece has had its fair share of frustrations. There are days when I just want to go shopping on Sunday, or I need to express something complicated and the language barrier is a problem. There are days when I feel like the language barrier keeps me from really knowing the kids I work with. There were also the endless hours of wading through bureacracy to get my residence permit, which has now been pending for eight months, and will in all likelihood, arrive expired and after I have left this continent.
Above all, I miss diversity. It's so peculiar to me, to walk down the street and know, based on genetic features, who is not from around here. I actually find myself staring at blonde people or American-looking people, or anybody with non-Greek looking features. Me, the New Yorker, who usually would not bother to stare if a ten foot gorilla got on the 9 train, and I am now staring at people because they have blonde hair. I'm not sure I like that feeling.
I'm also not sure I like what has happened to my taste buds. My tongue used to be hardy, capable of enjoying hot peppers and curry. I used to laugh at people who ordered food mild. I used to be tough. But then, last week, I broke open a box of packaged curry that my father sent me a few months back, I took bite and found myself coughing. It was so spicy! Packaged curry was spicy, and I know it wasn't even as spicy as the real stuff they serve in Jackson Heights. My tongue has been coddled with feta and tomatoes, and all of the taste buds I had been burning off all my life grew back. I don't like it. I feel like a wimp.
So yes, Greece has its drawbacks, just like any place has its drawbacks. In a certain way, I'm pleased about it. It makes me feel that I really have been here. So many tourists come and go, thinking of Greece as a warm sunny relaxed paradise with ruins, and they don't see much farther than that. It's the same thing that happens in New York, when visitors crow over the view from the Empire State building, but never get the close-up view that reveals so much more. In a way, perhaps it's what happened to me when I studied abroad in London, and decided it was heaven on earth, just filled with literary landmarks and history. I can hardly think of anything I really disliked about London. Maybe it really is the most perfect place on the planet. But I don't think so. Maybe I should go back and try to find some things I hate, and then I'll be a real 20th Century Londoner, instead of an Elizabethan one.
There's another reason I'm glad to have found things about Greece that drive me insane. The fact that I see them makes me realize all of the good things about my own home that I never appreciated before. America is upsetting me so much these days that I sometimes feel just utterly disgusted with my whole country and want to pretend that I'm from somewhere else entirely. When Greeks ask me if I am from England, Italy or Albania, I have sometimes felt tempted to say yes, just to avoid questions about George Bush. When Europeans change between languages with more ease than I change my shoes, I feel embarrassed that we're all so monolingual. But when I think about listening to seventeen different languages on the subway, or eating Kosher Indian food on the lower east side, I realize that there is something wonderful about living in a place with so many different kinds of people. It's such a huge relief to discover that we really do have some things to be proud of back in the states.
And so I will cheer on the now almost non-existent whores of seventh avenue along with incredibly confusing Greek language and the heat of the Greek summer. I will love to hate bureacracy at the embassy with the same passion that I love to hate the New York Yankees. I will complain about the crowded 58 bus in the same way I complain about ten dollar movie tickets in New York, and eventually I will go home, where the New York City winters certainly will be bleeding me, and I will dream of the sweltering Mediterranean sun and long to find someone with whom I can drink ouzo and practice my stilted Greek. Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops, you have been away! There is no more #9 train! We're back to the plain old #1. I'm sure Iowa has changed some too, but I can't help you there. We still have kosher Indian food though, waiting for you, and the same waitress at the Jackson Diner who's been there for your whole lifetime came over to say hello to Hayley last time we were there, and asked about you. But that's a whole different blog that we'll write someday.

Dad

Anonymous said...

"America is upsetting me so much these days that I sometimes feel just utterly disgusted with my whole country and want to pretend that I'm from somewhere else entirely. When Greeks ask me if I am from England, Italy or Albania, I have sometimes felt tempted to say yes, just to avoid questions about George Bush."

When I lived in Athens (3 years in the 1970s) I used to say I was French, or Canadian, just to avoid confrontations and the prospect of getting beat up (which happened some anyway). I was only 12 years old at the time. I love the Greeks but there's a strong traditional anti-Americanism that is part and parcel of the politics of the place, it seems like, and my guess is it cannot be avoided at all times.

Anonymous said...

Greece in the 70s!!!! Come on man, it's an entirelly diferent matter!Greece had a USA (or should I say just CIA) endorsed military Junda back then, what exactly were you expecting?? People were getting beat up and exiled just for reading the wrong kind of newspaper!!

Bill Clinton actually apologised for that in his last visit in Greece, back in 99 I think.Would GB ever do that?

Anonymous said...

And here's the link, 'cause I know many Americans don't know about it(the Junda I mean), and you might think I'm bullshitting you...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/529932.stm

Emily said...

hey daddy! I though the nine train came back for a while! I guess I missed it. Oh well, as long as the indian food is still there.
erik and anonymous; it's not so much Greek-anti-Americanism that keeps me quiet, it's my own anger towards American politics. Greeks are generally very polite and do not judge me based on my nationality.

Anonymous said...

anonymous: "Greece in the 70s!!!! Come on man, it's an entirelly diferent matter!Greece had a USA (or should I say just CIA) endorsed military Junda back then, what exactly were you expecting??"

If you're suggesting its reasonable to jump 12 year olds because of a beef with the C.I.A., that sounds farfetched to me. I never had serious trouble except in the suburbs east of Athens. Some serious attitudes were around then. A lot of people in Greece backed the junta when it originally took over - - but the majority of them got sour on it quickly and I don't blame them.

It was a different era - - my sister was in Athens and Missolonghi last summer and didn't have any problems whatsoever, and none of my American friends who've been in Greece since then have had trouble either (that I know about) - - but I can read the Greek news and thats what I was responding to, per anti-Americanism that Emily Z mentioned. It made me think of my experience, but it's not obviously the same thing she is talking about - -

melusina said...

This was a beautiful post Emily, and reflects so well the thoughts of people like us, who venture from our homes and experience life somewhere else.

Anonymous said...

From one anoymous poster to another:

The scary thing is that if John Kerry had made more of a stand against gays and abortion (just a little), he would be President. Middle America controls the country, not the fringe Hollywood left or the NY supposed elite.

Next time the Dems need to be a little less tolerant so we can get the vote, or it's 4 more years of the Bush dynasty. Is it really worth it?