Wednesday, July 05, 2006

In Which, Stranded, I Begin An International Trend

Well, I'm still in Irakleion. And I'm getting sort of grouchy.

Just the other day I was joking that perhaps I would move to a Greek Island and strand myself by the beach. I did not expect the gods to take me literally. But then strong winds took over this part of the Aegean, and all boats from Crete were cancelled for two days- with more strong winds predicted for tomorrow. I have been occupying myself with archaeology and The Odyssey. Yesterday afternoon I read about poor Odysseus, stranded on Calypso's* island, crying because he is so desperate to leave. I've never felt so much sympathy for the poor man, but it gives me some comfort to realize that being stuck here is, in some way, part of an ancient Greek tradition.

Today, being desperate to get to the beach at last (I have been on the road for over a week with only a few brief toe dips in the ocean) I took a bus eastward, to an area filled with resorts. I walked down to the beach...and found no beach. Instead, there were about three feet of sand with white-capped waves crashing upon them like, I don't know, the north atlantic or something. Huddled upon beach chairs were some Germans, some Brits, and a family of unknown Scandinavian descent. It was a bit chilly. I was disappointed, but somewhat encouraged by the green color of the surf- so I stuck my feet in. After five minutes of strolling through the waves up to my thighs, I was joined by a German man who actually jumped right on in and began paddling through the waves. Not wanting to be outdone by the Germans, I jumped in too, splashed for a few moments, and looked up to find that a British couple had followed suit. Next came another German man, and another man who could have been from anywhere; I didn't get a chance to try and listen in on his accent. Throughout this, the mysterious Scandinavians stood on the pier and took pictures of the water, and the Greeks stood in the taverna, probably thinking we were all completely insane, but at least they let us use their beach chairs for free.

Overall, it was not the best trip to the beach I have ever had- next time, I want more sun. However, I cannot help but feel that somewhere here is a lesson in international relations. I'm just not sure what it is.

*the nymph, not my cat.

1 comment:

kostas said...

Next time try Chalkidiki,you will find a new world!Excellent beaches,azure sea.
Have very nice summer vacations.