Monday, July 10, 2006

In Which The Tentacles Have Their Revenge

I did, eventually, make it to Santorini, followed by Folegandros and Naxos, and the future is still yet to be determined. Island internet costs a lot, but I'll give you a few highlights anyway.

-On Santorini, I went to Red Beach, which is appropriately named. The sand, from volcanic rock, is indeed red, and stunning. I have been shaking crimson and black dust out of my clothes for days.

-On Folegandros I hiked for an hour over a cliff to get to a tiny, gorgeous cove where I was one of only ten people. The water was blue and green and clear, the sun was warm, and I had been paddling about for a good half hour, basking in the beauty of it all, when I stuck my hand into something that felt...odd. Sort of like swimming through grass, but grass with tiny needles. I came to the conclusion that I had been stung by a jellyfish, swore loudly (in English, of course), went madly splashing towards shore, glimpsed two more pinkish gelatinous creatures wobbling along, shrieked again, and repaired to my towel, where Lonely Planet informed me that "Greek jellyfish are not lethal, but they can cause pain." Well, the fact that they COULD be lethal had never even entered my mind. The fact that they can hurt, and can leave little red tentacle-shaped welts across one's arm was more obvious. Lonely Planet also recommended that you douse stings in vinegar, which made me contemplate rushing over to the nearest taverna, picking up the salad dressing, and pouring it over my arm.

-Every time I think I know the ferry schedule, someone informs me that I do not. The woman in Santorini definitely said there were ferries from Mykonos to Lesvos every Tuesday, but every travel agent in Naxos and one on Mykonos says I am wrong about that. The schedules all say that there are frequent ferries from Naxos to Mykonos, but the Naxos travel agents say I am wrong about that too. I'm damn mystified, and at this rate, I have no idea when I will be home. I'm not really complaining.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey E., I just found your fantastic blog. I'm a NYer too, great fan of Joyce and Shakespeare, but mostly I study the ancient Greek language. Thanks for the stunning photographs and the insightful descriptions. Now I have to find a way to get to Greece! ~N

Anonymous said...

HI Emily, I also just found this blog and am a NYer, and am studying Greek. (That's Modern in case you were wondering.) I am arriving in Athens on Thursday Jul 20... wonder if you will still be there. Look forward to more posts from you.
Jay