Tuesday, August 15, 2006

In Which I Mingle Sweets and Bittersweets

 

We were returning from a family trip to a Thai restaurant in Queens when I saw the cafe that this box came from. I couldn't resist the urge to get out of the car. It seems that baklava in the states comes in much bigger pieces than the Greek stuff, but it's pretty good. There were a variety of other honey soaked pastries available, as well. However, the truly exciting part was hearing Greek spoken ("Οριστε, κυριε", said the woman behind the counter, and the customer said "Ευχαριστω!") and hearing Greek music, if only for the brief moment it took for my baklava to be wrapped. I'm trying not to get nostalgic and depressed. I'm not goin to look at my pictures of the beach for a while, that's for sure- I don't know what that would do to my mental health. But someday I will try to post some of them, and post a more complete recounting of my travels through Europe. Posted by Picasa

No comments: