Friday, August 11, 2006

There's No Place Like Home

After ten days, I figured I should let you all know that I am alive, I did make it across the Atlantic, and everything's fine. I have not updated because my body is having a little bit of trouble adjusting itself back into American life (I keep falling asleep. I thought it was jet lag, then it turned into a fever, and now it's just a persistent exhaustion, maybe a mourning cry for the afternoon nap.)
Actually, my brain is having a little bit of trouble too. In other words, I sort of don't believe I'm gone and not returning soon, and I really don't believe that I need to figure out what I'm doing next.
But my cat did make it through customs, small carrying case and all, and the customs lady just said "Awwwww!" That's it. No questions about bird flu. No cursory glances to make sure she didn't appear to be carrying some other contagious disease. My cats at home, of course, did not say "awwwwwww." They (well, one of them, Chloe, the Queen Bee cat of the household) hissed a lot, and now Calypso is hissing like crazy at her. It's not that different than dealing with middle schoolers, really.
It's sort of a shock to have people speaking English to me all the time. And the subway is expensive. I will certainly have more observations on my re-Americanization soon, but for now, that's it.

1 comment:

melusina said...

I'm glad you and Calypso made it home safely.

I'll miss your adventures in Thessaloniki but it will be interesting to see how your readjustment goes.