Friday, September 09, 2005

Mushroom Martians and Plumbing

The unreliable nature of my plumbing seems to have been resolved, although I did have a rather amusing incident this morning, halfway through my shower. I had just finished soaping up my hair, and my head was pretty much covered in fluffy white suds- and when I tried to turn on the faucet and rinse them out, the water had disappeared. Of course, I panicked, thinking the water would be gone for hours and I would just have to parade around encased in suds. However, a few moments later the faucets came back to life and I rinsed off- very quickly.

I'm also able to take out books from several libraries on campus, which is a lifesaver, as English language books seem sort of hard to acquire here, and really, really expensive. I did find a bookstore selling English language books for only three Euros, but they all appeared to be at leats several decades old and had titles like The Attack Of The Mushroom Martians and The Erotic Adventures of Chrysanthemum Fitzgerald. It wasn't really what I was looking for.

I don't know how anyone could possibly get by for an entire year without a good source of books. I guess I could try reading in Greek, and it would be incentive for me to learn the language- maybe more incentive than I want. Maybe sometime I'll try checking out a Greek copy of something simple and familiar, like the first Harry Potter book. Or maybe I could try Good Night Moon. Yes, I think that would be more at my level.

Speaking of books, all of the stores here seem to stock large number of Stephen King novels in Greek. Apparently he has a following here, as does the Da Vinci code guy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily! If it makes you feel any better, I live in a city IN AMERICA that is almost entirely devoid of bookstores. Well, except for the Borders by the mall. But the mall is a hellhole. And my plumbing is also spotty. So we can commiserate over that! Anyway, I've resigned myself to reading both plans and blogs in this post-Grinnell world, and am thoroughly enjoying living vicariously through you.

Daniel :-)