Thursday, September 08, 2005

When people speak Greek around me, (particularly quickly) I generally hear something like:

"blah blah blah I have two blah blah blah I want Blah room blah blah blah hot water blah blah on Friday or Saturday blah blah ten o'clock."

In other words, I don't necessarily grasp the meaning of what they are saying, but I can get a feel for the general topic of conversation. It's hard to follow such fast conversations! But at least my vocab skills are coming back.

Things here are generally good, though sometimes frustrating, since the building that I live in is under construction at the moment, and the construction is in high gear, since school needs to open on Monday! Nobody in my building has internet access, and the hot water has been somewhat unreliable. In fact, yesterday, my water disappeared altogether, so I have not washed my hair in a rather long while. I'm trying to be patient, though, and the good news is that I DO finally have a phone! But if you've been emailing me, keep in mind that I've only been able to check my email once a day on weekdays, usually in the (Greek) morning, which means that if you send me a message from the States, I probably will not answer you until the next day. Well, unless you send me a message in the middle of the night, that is.

Anyway, I had my first shift with the kids yesterday, and it was good. It was also very relaxed, since only about 15% of the kids are here so far. However, it's good practice, I think.

In other news, I just reread Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris, which has turned out to be a good choice of reading material. Not only is David Sedaris Greek, but a large part of his book is about being American and living abroad. (In France, in his case.) It's very funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.