Tuesday, September 27, 2005


Well, I'm feeling better; my sore throat is gone and so is the runny nose that I've had for a few days. I've been treating these things with Greek chamomile tea and Greek honey, both of which are quite good. I bought the chamomile from the market downtown; there's a place that always has a massive amount of it, which you can view in the picture above. One Euro bought me about enough chamomile for a small nation, so if you come to visit me, I will gladly make you some chamomile tea. I am also now the proud owner of a tea strainer.
I know, I know, this is not very exciting stuff here, but bear with me, I've been sick, and tea strainers are hard to find in Greece. The Greeks are more into coffee than tea, and it's strong coffee at that. Actually, I'm more into coffee myself, and I already bought a Greek coffee pot thing.
Anyway, I took a very nice walk through the old town today, up to where the orginal city walls still stand. It was a lovely walk, and the streets there are all narrow and cobblestoned; it's like traveling from a modern city to a medieval one in just a few short steps. Well, they are also very steep steps, because the old town is way the hell up at the top of a hill. However, the view is quite spectacular up there - nicer, even, than the view from the White Tower. Look at these!



I am, by the way, planning to take pictures of the school and my apartment soon, so that you can all see where I live. My work here is going well, although I am starting to feel like "Laundry Attendant" might be a good alternate job title for me. Kids are constantly approaching me and requesting help with their laundry, which I am happy to provide, although I don't know what to tell them when they ask questions about whites and colors. I think I actually separated whites from colors maybe once in my entire college career, and I never ended up with pink sheets or underwear. So, I keep telling the kids not to bother separating things, and then they shoot me suspicious looks and ask if I've ever done laundry before. Yes, I tell them, lots of times, and the tiny little yellow trim on your towel is not going to dye everything in the washer yellow - nor is the pink towel going to leave pink spots on your black pants.
Unfortunately, Murphy's Law dictates that someday very soon an angry kid is going t show up at my door with yellow sheets and pink polka dotted pants and I am going to have to deal with it.

No comments: